About Loyola Park Advisory Council

The Loyola Park Advisory Council (LPAC) is a volunteer group of Rogers Park residents who meet the first Wednesday of each month at the Loyola Park Fieldhouse.

The LPAC helps fund Rogers Park activities like youth summer camps, youth sports programs and equipment, sports program scholarships, Movies in the Park, African-American Heritage Celebration, Daddy-Daughter Dinner Dance, as well as various park improvements. Our goal is the betterment of our park and its many programs!

Please help by supporting our cause!

Our History

Unlike most of these park boards, the North Shore District, formed in 1900, was at first interested only in enhancing the area through boulevard improvements along Sheridan Road, Pratt Boulevard, and Ashland Avenue.

photo by Larry Edward Smith

Loyola Park was the sole park created by the North Shore Park District, one of 22 independent park boards consolidated into the Chicago Park District in 1934.

By 1905, however, public pressure had prompted the district to consider park development. The district spent several years mulling its options. Finally, in 1909, at the urging of the Rogers Park Woman’s Club, the North Shore District determined to concentrate its resources on purchasing land for a single beachfront park and boating basin known as North Shore Park. Shortly thereafter, noted landscape architect and engineer O.C. Simonds developed plans for a pier at the site, but these were never realized. By 1917, the North Shore District had acquired more than nine acres of lakeshore property. A small fieldhouse, built in 1923, soon provided game and club rooms. Playfields were flooded for ice skating in winter; in 1929, the local American Legion post erected a shelter house for skaters.

Several years after the Chicago Park District took over in 1934, local residents asked that North Shore Park be renamed. The park district agreed, and held a contest to choose a new name. Neighborhood residents favored the name Loyola Park, for nearby Loyola University. The Jesuits began to develop this important Rogers Park institution in 1906, when they purchased a 20-acre site between Devon and Loyola Avenues. During the 1930s, the university raised its neighborhood profile substantially by constructing a number of dramatic Art Deco buildings, including the Madonna della Strada Chapel. Around 1950, the Chicago Park District more than doubled the size of Loyola Park and built a new fieldhouse with an adjacent grandstand. Another half-acrewas added1971, bringing the size ofLoyola Park to more than 21.5 acres.

Our Team

The Loyola Park Advisory Council is a not for profit organization run by volunteers and elected members. We are always on the lookout for new members who wish to make a difference in their neighborhood.

0 Blades of Grass

We got 'em

0 Trees

We actually counted!

0 Members

on our team

0 Programs

So Much To Do!

Chicago-Parks-Foundation2-LOGO

Fiscal sponsor of the Loyola Park Advisory Council

ADDRESS

Fieldhouse:
1230 W Greenleaf Ave
Chicago, IL 60626
map

CONTACT

We welcome volunteers to join the Loyola Park Advisory Council and/or assist the weekend of the Artists of the Wall Festival. Our meetings take place at 6:30pm the first Wednesday of each month at the Loyola Park Field house.

JOIN US